As we enter the rainy season, the City of Dublin urges residents to be prepared by following some safety tips:
- Keep your car fueled. If electric power is cut off, gas stations may not be operable.
- Keep your cell phone charged. Always have a car charger on hand.
- Check your emergency supplies (first aid kit, essential medicines, cash, food, water, non-electric can opener, portable radio, flashlights, and spare batteries) and ensure they are in air-tight bags and in handy locations.
- Keep a rake on hand to clear debris that may clog storm drains during storms.
- Secure or remove items that can blow around.
- Keep garbage cans and cars at least one foot from the curb to avoid blocking storm water flows.
During heavy rains, the maintenance staff at the Department of Public Works is on full alert, circulating throughout the City to remove downed trees and limbs, clear storm drains, and remove leaves and debris, which can lead to flooding. The City of Dublin also offers free sandbags to Dublin businesses and residents who may feel that their property is being threatened by flooding. Sandbags can be picked up from the City of Dublin Corporation Yard, located at 5709 Scarlett Court. A sandbag-filling station will also be present in the event that the pallets of sandbags are empty. Public Works will provide a mound of sand, shovels, and bags, so that residents can fill up to 10 bags, if necessary.