Halloween is a fun and exciting holiday for kids and adults alike, and to ensure that everyone has an enjoyable time celebrating, Dublin Police Services and the City of Dublin would like to offer some tips to keep residents safe:
· A responsible adult should always escort children while trick-or-treating.
· Carry a flashlight while trick-or-treating and stay on sidewalks.
· Trick-or-treat in a familiar neighborhood, and only approach well-lit homes.
· Do not take shortcuts through backyards or alleys when trick-or-treating.
· Children should never eat any treats until they have been examined by an adult.
· Give wrapped, homemade treats only to children you know. Healthy options are best.
· Advise children that they should never enter strangers’ homes nor accept rides from strangers.
· Set a specific time limit for your older children to be out on Halloween.
· Don’t leave your home unattended on Halloween night.
· Keep pets inside your home or other safe place on Halloween.
· Make sure pathways to your home are well lit and free of obstructions for other trick-or-treaters.
· Children should wear proper fitting, comfortable costumes and shoes. Wearing reflective tape or markings on a costume is best at night.
· Costumes should be made of light-colored, non-flammable materials.
· Props such as toy guns or swords should be made of a pliable material.