Tips for Your Security
- Avoid unpopulated areas and overgrown trails. Especially avoid poorly lighted areas at night.
- Consider carrying a cellular phone. Pre-program the number for the local law enforcement agency; Dublin Police Services Dispatch Center can be reached at 925-462-1212, any time, day or night. Calling 911 on a cellular phone routes you to the California Highway Patrol dispatch center in Vallejo. They will then ascertain where you are and re-route the call to the local law enforcement agency.
- Don't wear headsets. If you wear them you won't hear an approaching car or attacker. Listen to your surroundings.
- Don't wear jewelry or carry cash.
- If you think you are being followed, change direction and head for other people. Don't be embarrassed to cause a scene and draw attention to yourself.
- Ignore verbal harassment. Use discretion in acknowledging strangers. Look directly at others and be observant, but keep your distance and keep moving.
- Know the layout of the park and the surrounding neighborhood. Identify safe locations you can turn to for help.
- Plan your outing. Always tell someone where you are going and when you will return. Tell friends and family of your favorite routes.
- Run against traffic so you can observe approaching automobiles.
- Run clear of parked cars or buses. Stay in the middle of the path.
- Run or walk with a partner and/or dog.
- Send the message that you are calm, confident, and know where you are going.
- Stay alert at all times. The more aware you are, the less vulnerable you are.
- Wear an identification tag or carry a driver's license. If you don't have a place to carry your ID, write your name, phone number, and blood type on the inside of your athletic shoes. Include any medical information.
Call the police immediately if something happens to you or someone else, or you notice anyone out of the ordinary. The Dublin Police Services Dispatch Center can be reached at 925-462-1212 any time, day or night.