Under guidance from local and state health officials, Heritage Park indoor museums, including the Murray Schoolhouse Museum, has re-opened. Guidance includes reduced capacity, and the use of face coverings and will be strictly enforced at all times.
The 1856 Murray Schoolhouse is a museum of local history. It traces the journey of Dublin's founders from Ireland to America in 1834, across the plains in a wagon train, and arriving to Mexican California in 1846. Soon after California became a state in 1850, Dublin was a small farming town. The museum features interactive exhibits including a playhouse for preschool- aged visitors.
The schoolhouse was built in 1856 by Jeremiah Fallon and Michael Murray, Dublin's town founders.
Michael Murray and Jeremiah and Eleanor Fallon settled the area in 1846, and purchased land from Jose Marie Amador in 1850.
The schoolhouse has two rooms. The larger room was for the older kids, 5th to 8th grade, and the smaller room or “little classroom” was used for the smaller kids, 1st to 4th grade.
The schoolhouse has changed locations three times that we know of, but it originally sat near where the Stoneridge Mall in Pleasanton is located, and was also moved to Dublin Canyon Road, right next to the Kolb Ranch.
The schoolhouse was closed in 1952, and was moved to Dublin Heritage Park in 1975 to serve as a museum.
The schoolhouse houses a permanent exhibit entitled, "The Journey," and often displays other temporary historical exhibits.