Beginning in December, northbound I-680 will experience overnight closures between State Route 84 and the Sunol Boulevard exit due to a Caltrans repaving project. Lanes will be closed from 10:00 p.m. to 5:00 a.m., Monday through Friday, through April 2023.
- Regional detours will be activated to advise motorists coming from the South Bay to take I-880/SR-238/I-580 instead of I-680.
- For closures between the Koopman Road and Sunol Boulevard interchanges, drivers should exit I-680 at Paloma Road, take Pleasanton-Sunol Road, and re-enter northbound I-680 at Sunol Boulevard.
- Eastbound drivers should take eastbound SR-84 to I-580.
The work is part of a larger improvement project that will take place on I-680 between Koopman Road in Sunol and Alcosta Boulevard in San Ramon. Caltrans will be repaving I-680 and replacing entire sections of the freeway to enhance safety and provide a smoother ride for motorists. Caltrans will need to close freeway lanes and entire sections of the freeway to complete the work. The project should take about 18 months to complete.
Additionally, work will necessitate closing I-680 for 72 hours on the following holidays in 2023:
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Day (January 14 - 16)
- Presidents' Day (February 18 - 20)
- Memorial Day (May 27 - 29)
- Labor Day (September 2- 4)
Caltrans will provide additional holiday closure information as soon it becomes available. The public will be notified in advance via traffic advisories, a webpage, and social media.