Housing Element Update
City Council Approves 2023-2031 Housing Element and Related Amendments
On November 15, 2022, the City Council approved the 2023-2031 Housing Element and related amendments to implement the plan including amendments to the General Plan, Eastern Dublin Specific Plan, Downtown Dublin Specific Plan, and amendments to the Planned Development Zoning for sites D-2 and E-2 at the Dublin Transit Center and Hacienda Crossings shopping center. The City Council agenda and staff report may be viewed here.
The State of California requires that the City Council adopt a comprehensive, long-term General Plan for the physical development of the City. The Housing Element is one of seven mandated elements of the General Plan and must be updated every eight years to address existing and projected housing needs for all economic segments of the City. Housing need is determined through the Regional Housing Needs Allocation (RHNA) process as further described below.
The City's current Housing Element was adopted by the City Council on November 18, 2014, and was certified by the State of California Department of Housing and Community Development (HCD) on January 21, 2015. The current Housing Element covers the planning period of 2014-2022.
The City is currently in the process of updating its General Plan Housing Element for the 2023-2031 planning period. To comply with State Law, the City's Housing Element must be updated to ensure that Dublin's policies and programs can accommodate estimated housing growth needs, also known as RHNA.
Regional Housing Needs Allocation
The California Department of Housing and Community Development (HCD) determines the Regional Housing Needs Determination (RHND) for the nine-county Bay Area. The Association of Bay Area Governments (ABAG) is tasked with creating a methodology for distributing the RHND across the Bay Area jurisdictions. The RHND for the Bay Area is 441,176 units.
Distribution of the RHND results in each jurisdiction's RHNA, which is the total number of housing units by income category (i.e., very-low, low, moderate, and above-moderate income), that the jurisdiction must plan for in the next Housing Element.
On December 16, 2021, the ABAG Executive Board adopted the Final Regional Housing Needs Allocation Plan: San Francisco Bay Area, 2023-2031, which is the final step in ABAG's RHNA process that began in October 2019. The plan allocates 3,719 units of housing to the City of Dublin. The table below shows the final distribution of housing units to Dublin by household income category.
|Very Low Income||Low Income||Moderate Income||Above Moderate Income||Total Units|
Each local government in the Bay Area, including the City of Dublin, must now update the Housing Element of its General Plan to demonstrate how it can accommodate its RHNA. The Housing Element Updates must be adopted by the City Council and submitted to HCD for certification by January 31, 2023.
Following are the City's next steps of the Housing Element Update:
|1.||City Council Review and Adopt Housing Element and Submit to HCD for Certification||November 15, 2022|
|2.||Planned Development Zoning Amendments - 2nd Reading||December 6, 2022|
Subscribe to email notifications for upcoming City meetings and workshops for the Housing Element Update.
Please check back to this webpage periodically for updates on progress on updating the City's Housing Element, and ways to get involved.
- City Council Staff Report - November 15, 2022: 2023-2031 Housing Element, and related amendments to the General Plan, Downtown Dublin Specific Plan and Eastern Dublin Specific Plan, and Planned Development Zoning for Dublin Transit Center Sites D-2 and E-2 and Hacienda Crossings shopping center
- Planning Commission Staff Report - October 25, 2022: 2023-2031 Housing Element, and related amendments to the General Plan, Downtown Dublin Specific Plan and Eastern Dublin Specific Plan, and Planned Development Zoning for Dublin Transit Center Sites D-2 and E-2 and Hacienda Crossings shopping center
- Revised 2023-2031 Housing Element, dated October 18, 2022
- Initial Study / Negative Declaration
- HCD's Comments, dated August 29, 2022
- Revised Draft 2023-2031 Housing Element, dated August 15, 2022
- appears to be an empty link with target /DocumentCenter/View/30620/Draft-2023-2031-Housing-Element- Draft 2023-2031 Housing Element, dated May 27, 2022
- City Council Staff Report - May 17, 2022: Draft 2023-2031 Housing Element
- Planning Commission Staff Report - April 26, 2022: Draft 2023-2031 Housing Element
- Public Review Draft 2023-2031 Housing Element appears to be an empty link with target /DocumentCenter/View/30257/Draft-2023-2031-Housing-Element-
- City Council Staff Report - March 15, 2022: Housing Element Update Check-in
- Planning Commission Staff Report - March 8, 2022: Housing Element Update Study Session. appears to be an empty link with target https://granicus_production_attachments.s3.amazonaws.com/dublin/d218334813b7083404d25d4c08cb357e0.pdf
- Housing Element Update Survey Results