- Be aware of the street traffic around you. Drivers are required to follow certain rules of the road concerning school buses, however, not all do. Protect yourself and watch out!
- Have a safe place to wait for your bus, away from traffic and the street.
- Keep a safe distance between you and the bus. Also, remember that the bus driver can see you best when you are back away from the bus.
- Safety belts are the best form of protection passengers have in the event of a crash. They can lower your risk of injury by 45%. You are four times more likely to be seriously injured or killed if ejected from the vehicle in a crash.
- Stay away from the bus until it comes to a complete stop and the driver signals you to enter.
- Use the handrail to enter and exit the bus.
- When being dropped off, exit the bus and walk ten giant steps away from the bus.
- You might have heard before that most traffic crashes occur close to home - they do.